Doug Rice, creator of the original Josh Ritter Fansite and now of joshritter.com, is on the road with Josh and the band for the quick run of shows that is the Northeast USA tour. And EVERY DAY during the week he'll be posting exclusive concert recaps from the night before, Josh's set list, photos, and shooting behind-the-scenes video from each day...


Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Tour Starts: Band Rehearsal, Monday 11/30

I'm sure many musicians out there might contend that you can always tell how a tour is going to go, just by how rehearsal goes. Or maybe what the bus is like. Or if everyone's plane or train gets them there on time, or how healthy the singer is.

I don’t know. I'm not a musician. But I've jumped onto Josh's tour bus a few times in the past, and there IS something very exciting about the night before, packing up the trailer with gear, loading your suitcases onto the bus, and getting on the road.

Last night was no exception. For me...my train ride from the Jersey Shore to Boston was nothing short of relaxing, with much anticipation – and it was on time. I took 15 steps off the train at Boston's South Station and walked into, literally, a man rushing the other way. It was Steven Tyler, of Aerosmith.


People, you can't make this up. I think that set the tone, perhaps, for how this week-long tour may go. After all, there is nothing wrong with bumping into some rock royalty before hopping onto a tour bus. But before that, I headed over to Josh and the band's rehearsal. As I walked in, they were midway through a rollicking and fun version of "Open Doors." The gang is all there: Josh, Zack Hickman (bass), Sam Kassirer (keys), Austin Nevins (guitar), and Liam Hurley (drums). Standing in a circle, these guys were playing it to no one, for no one, but themselves. And they sounded soooooo good. Then it was an even more rollicking "Man Burning" before Josh suggests throwing a quick bit of Christmas joy into the show's mix, for fun. After experimenting with a couple holiday classics, and without giving too much away, well...just listen for it. And get into the spirit!

"Lillian Egypt," "Come and Find Me," and even the Charley Pride (Johnny Cash?) cover "Chrystal Chandeliers" are rehearsed, among others, peppered between with comments like "let’s do that ending one more time" and "can you play this song with brushes instead?" and "that’s perfect, let’s keep this one mellow." And those songs, too, sound amazing. I've seen and heard Josh and the band countless times. Yet each song sounds BRAND NEW. So by the time they do hit a brand new song (the absolutely nasty and rockin’ "Old Man"), I'm blown away. And psyched FOR them.

With time to kill after rehearsal and before the bus leaves around midnight for Washington DC, we find ourselves down the street in a tavern. I know Josh just flew in from Idaho where he spent the Thanksgiving holiday, and of course is about to set out on tour; he must be tired or at least trying to rest up. I asked him how his morning was. Josh sips his beer and then, as if it's what everyone does each morning, he says "I ran 24 miles this morning." He’s not kidding. He is indeed – amidst the touring and the new album and side projects – training for another marathon. I tell him he’s absolutely insane. He laughs before ordering another beer.

Wow. Welcome to a Josh Ritter tour, folks...

7 comments:

  1. thanks for the info Doug, please keep up the good work. heading to the philly show tomorrow, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Anonymous said. ;) Looking forward to the Philly show.

    Question though: when you bumped into Steven Tyler, did he break the other hip?


    All the best,

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh. No wonder he was hobbling a bit. *Whew* I thought I may have done that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome, Doug. Josh isn't going to be anywhere near me on this tour, so I sadly can't experience the real thing. But I'll be checking back here daily to keep up with you guys! Can't wait for the updates - good luck on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doug, I'm going to the show tonight, and there's just nothing else I can think of to get me more excited. Oh man, I can't wait. I'll keep an eye out for you, I guess.


    Thanks,
    will

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doug, how jealous am I? Thanks for bringing us these snippets. And for just being you! Have a great time on tour with Josh and the band. I wish I could see them this time round.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent read Doug; looking forward to seeing ya'll in Northampton!

    ReplyDelete